08 September, 2013

A Turning Point

Please, please watch this video. If you don't, I might come shake you.

Did you watch it? Good. If not, lock your doors.

Everyone (I hope??) can probably tell you about turning points in their lives. Moments where it seems every inch of fabric in their life's story culminated in this shattering symphony where you realize more about who you are and your purpose on this earth. You may scoff at mine... you may disagree with mine. But in those moments, you "couldn't be any youer than you," and hopefully you're like me and a lightbulb clicks on in your head.

I could tell you my salvation story. It's not glittery... it's gritty. But I don't think salvation comes in that single moment, not like we would like to think. Increasingly, as a Christian, I think our salvation comes daily, not earned, but we accept it daily, living in thankful commune with God. So I can't tell you that's a distinct turning point in my life. Sometimes I wish I could. I know some of my readers don't identify, in whatever way. I'm fine with that. I don't need anyone's approval.

The true turning points in my life all happened late. One, the main one, is when I set foot on a hybrid bike with a chain that needed to be replaced, after I graduated and had been set adrift out in the wilderness that is life without purpose. I fought against the bike for a long time. I couldn't be friends with it. It was powerful. It scared me. I made nice with the bike and my place on the road when I was training for my post-partum insanity half Ironman. But you guys already knew that.

What I've never said... the bike saved me. It saved me from something lacking inside me, a lack of understanding of what I can be. It fulfills my carnal need for adventure. Like the fellow says in the video... the bike can be our greatest medicine.

But we have to let it be. We have to lose our fear... fear of the roadways, fear of pain. But isn't that the way it is with most things worthwhile? The risk of pain makes most great things what they are... love of a mate, love of a child, love of family... You can't live life insulated, afraid to hurt. Give up on the padded comfort and safety of convenience foods and your couch and all that. Statistically, it isn't safe anyway... and it's much more dangerous than the empowered alternative.

Go do something dangerous and rewarding. I challenge you, beseech you to do that today. It's Sunday. Seriously. Be an ordinary person who does amazing, challenging things. And if I can make a suggestion, do it on a bike. That's just my preference, though.

No comments: