04 March, 2014

Lenten Time.

The last time I actually took the time to sit down and type, I was whining.

Shut the piehole, right? Things are never so bad as we think, typically, but sometimes things are worse than we'd like to admit. I was in a bad, bad place. I was suffering from severe malnutrition. My hair was falling out. I couldn't heal from small, inconsequential injuries, workouts, and serious injuries. My skin looked terrible. I was depressed. All this and more, because I wasn't providing my body enough nutritional value, particularly protein and vitamin B-12, among what I can only imagine as a corollary of missing vitamins and minerals.

Check in a few weeks later, and I'm so much better. I did stop the vegetarian diet. It works well for some people... I dig. I glanced at my food diary from the past year, and I saw a disturbing trend: I have never consumed enough protein. Likely not in my entire adult life. I've never been particularly carnivorous, and tended to favor lower calorie vegetables and fruits. And cookies... and cake...

So here I am now, head clearing from the fog that plagued me for months. I feel like there's one thing holding me back: excessive consumption of simple carbohydrates. I feel like an addict lately, with no self control. Plow through half a bag of Starburst jelly beans, gorge myself on GirlScout cookies and Lucky Charms the next night. THIS HAS TO STOP.

And stop here, it does. For Lent, I'm giving up sweets, limiting my alcohol and conventional bread intake... not because I necessarily want to lose weight. I need a clear head, heart, soul. It's imperative that I give up things that distract me from my goals, and this is a good place to start.

Here's to good health :)

No comments: