30 December, 2014

Bracing for impact, in the best way possible.

A new year approaches quickly! Ride out and tell your friends. Tell them to brace for spectacular moments, and the darkest of times, highs and lows, and the stark beauty that comes at extremes and in between, in the gray moments between the black and the white.

I'm hard put to give up this Christmas season. It has been the best Christmas ever, in spite of the sadness leading up to it. And yet, in that sadness, we all came together, loved each other, and spent time together in a place we normally don't. And we all went back to our homes to rush into the hustle and bustle of the holiday season. Paul captured my heart in the most amazing way possible... with my love for a bike, and with wonderment at his giving heart. Hobbes was his sweet Christmas self, and we spent time with all our loved ones, and it was beautiful.

But that's sort of the way this year has been. At the beginning of the year, and felt like I was falling apart physically. As the days turned into weeks, though, I grew into someone I never knew I'd become. I love that life is like that, how we humans are never done growing and changing, morphing into someone new, as time goes by. It's precious, and while I know I complain, regularly and often, I'm enjoying the process of becoming me.

I made resolutions last year that I upheld. One, to rebuild my body. I actively pursued all possible methods, from nutrition to strength training, and while my body, much like my general person, is always changing and morphing, it's safe to say I'm stronger than I've ever been before. Second, on a related note, I resolved to go an entire year without heels, minus a few noted caveats. On this account, I never strayed, even though I was tempted a few times. My feet feel better... my legs feel better... I can't say I'll never wear uncomfortable footwear again, but my year without heels changed my outlook on how to dress.

I've tried new things this year, from skating to mountain biking, and even just riding with the fast kids. I've had dark moments, where parenting felt too hard, or when I felt I would never have a career. There have been bean burritos and steaks, margarita cupcakes, and caramel pies. Moments of question, and times of faith.

As I look to 2015, I wonder what it will hold. As for plans, resolutions, and ideas, here's what I have:

1. Blog twice monthly.
        Be willing to blog about things that aren't family or bike related. Understand that sometimes it might be hard, and that my writing may not be of the best quality, work hard, post anyway. Sometimes I tell people I'd like to write for a living. I can't do that if I'm not writing and honing my craft.

2. Read one book monthly.
        On a related note, if I want to write more and better, I need to read more, particularly writers with style, wit, and storytelling capabilities.

3. Meditate once daily.
        I feel like much of the stress I experience results from thoughts that I allow to hold me captive and a lack of willingness to step up to challenges, and alternately know when to step away and say no. I want to be able to approach life with a clear mind.

4. Ride 5000 miles for the year.

So, there you go. My resolutions. Some of them will be easier than others. Brace yourself for the amazing impact of 2015, when it comes barreling through your door on Wednesday night. Start Thursday feeling good about you, where you are, where you're going, and what there is in store. Start it with love in your heart.

No comments: