18 June, 2015

Bonnaroo: Bikes, Bands, Brews, Part 1

I'm always unsure about how Bonnaroo will turn out.

As I get older, I think it's overrated. It's hot, dusty or muddy, and my feet don't always like the long hours of plodding and standing about.

This year, I feel like Paul and I mastered Bonnaroo.

We both got our long rides out of the way on Thursday, leaving the rest of the long weekend open to shorter, more social rides. Paul did a century, while I did fifty miles, on very little food so I could be at a low weight for my final weigh in for a weight loss competition. Thankfully, Paul was on his way home from town with a giant sandwich and half gallon of chocolate milk for us to enjoy.

Other keys to our better-than-normal Bonnaroo experience:



Crap bikes to ride as far as we could, then lock to the fence. I'm fairly certain this is part of what saved my feet. I will never argue with a chance to trade steps for pedal strokes. Plus there was less... harassment.

This is me vegging at Dawes before I started tossing my cookies because of the sulfurous water and cherries that went bad in the locker.
Then there was the brilliant idea to portage in our Eno Doublenest every day. Our show-watching preferences were largely built around our ability to perch in the hammock and see the band play. It was exquisite to lounge around while the rest of the world was standing or sitting in the blazing sun. One of the greatest luxuries.

This is not our locker. This is the Bad Luck Locker.
Also amazing was the locker our friends purchased and to which they gave us access. We were able to store all manner of things in there, from smuggled beers to frozen waters, and a change of clothes. Like Bonnaroo Base Camp 2 to our walk in camping Bonnaroo Base Camp 1.

Those things, as well as my newer Chacos with the cushier sole, made the weekend feel easy.

When Bonnaroo feels easy, in spite of feeling lousy following the water/cherry poisoning, getting in a good short ride is easier. EVERYTHING IS EASIER.

In my next post, learn about the amazing bands I saw :)


No comments: