14 September, 2014

Make Peace With the Cold

It's coming. Brace yourselves.

Dry, cold air, burning in your lungs, as the trees surround you, lifeless in the still, frigid air.

There's a reason they had to write a song about winter being the "most wonderful time of year," and it's because it isn't.

But this year, I'm going to try something. I'm going to try to be at peace with the winter.

This will be a challenge. As a self-proclaimed Vitamin D junkie, I'm not always sure what to do with myself on the terribly short days of the dead of winter. I think I could deal with the cold weather, if not for the limited daytime hours. How am I supposed to get in an evening bike ride? Go to the park? Do anything fun outside? ... good thing you don't have to mow the yard in the winter.

I plan to throw myself into wintry things... sewing, crafting, baking, super cold bike rides. Maybe even mountain biking... (eep!) A little balance to my love of summer and all things fueled by heat and humidity. Breathe into it, lean into it, the cold, the discomfort.

I will do it. Some days, I will inevitably falter. But overall, I will work to be peaceful.

No comments: