17 February, 2015

It's Lent. Again.

Last year, for the first time ever, I gave up something for Lent. For all of Lenten time, I gave up sugar, most bread products, beer, wine... with a few noted exceptions, including my birthday weekend.

I had planned to give up one or two things this year, to add something as well. My sailor-make-your-mom-blush-potty-mouth has gotten completely out of control. I am an admitted fan of the spicier verbal seasoning. While I think "fowl language" is a mere social construct, there are plenty more eloquent and interesting ways to express myself. So... I'm approaching this rule a little differently, knowing I will invariably fail. I also know it will be worth the effort I give to it, so full speed ahead with the cleanup on aisle one that is my mouth and mind.

What am I adding? Fifteen minutes of yoga at least five days a week. And a stronger focus on the meditation I said I was going to do daily and have successfully managed to neglect.

The thing I hadn't planned, but decided this morning: Once again, I'm getting rid of the sugar in my diet. I made this decision as I realized I was sitting down with my second paçzki this morning. Wait, you've never had paçzki before? I suggest you hitch up your sled to your snow doggies (or reindeer...) and head to Kroger to pick some up. Since it's an icy wonderland outside and all. Paul's grandfather introduced them to us last year... They're a Polish fat week pastry, dense donuts filled with custard and covered in royal icing. Delectable :)

Where was I? So, I found myself eating yet another pastry, and I thought to myself, "I'm out of control." At that moment, I decided to follow through with my dietary restrictions from the previous year, with similar exceptions: My birthday weekend. On the bike. In the half hour following bike rides. Dark chocolate in moderate quantities. One chair latte per week. Less beer and wine.

And here's the really tough one: No facebook on the telefono.

It's a time for me to be quiet. To recenter within my spiritual self through outward struggle.

Join me in Lenten sacrifice :)

No comments: