02 February, 2015

Unplanned.

This is decidedly not how I planned for my beer-related posts to get their start.

Okay, wait. You need a little history.

I've been an avid lover of craft beer since The Husband and I began to frequent the Flying Saucer in Nashville many moons ago. Maybe five+ years? I've been to amazing craft breweries all around the country, where I am that oddball in the crowd who knows the answers to all the questions. (Dogfish Head tour guide, who openly accepted the woman nursing her baby in the baby carrier, who aced the pop quiz, I'm looking at you.) The Hobbesit knows all about the beer making process, and knows lots of correct answers too. I'm not certain if that makes me the best mom or the worst mom ever. It's not like he drinks it. I'm a bonafide beer lover, with a plate on the wall in the Nashville Saucer, and a second one in the works.

Flash forward, now I'm a craft beer drinking cyclist stay at home mom blogger activist. Last night, I didn't watch the Super Bowl, mostly because I don't really like football. But also mostly (wait, that doesn't make sense...) because I was busy drinking craft beer, and using a staple gun to upholster a new cornice for our bedroom so we can stop looking like poor college students and take the sheet down from our window.

So this morning, when my friend shared a Paste Magazine post dissecting a Budweiser commercial I hadn't seen, I was interested.

The irony of my failure to see this commercial has not been lost on me.

Budweiser, stop running scared. It's much like the new Bud Light commercials that show these hip, young things slinging back the blue-emblazoned bottles, with the new slogan.

But here's why the craft beer scene is important. Those brewers that make the beer worth fussing over are often local guys and gals making what I equate to high art for your tastebuds and soul. What they make appeals to us, the moustachioed hipster at the wooden table, us curly-topped girls, because it's a little piece of art, something to be tasted, enjoyed. Those people, these artisans, are making something for us, something beautiful, and making a living at it. They are worth patronizing.

I'm not anti-pilsner. You could look at my tasted-beers list at the Saucer, or into our beer fridge on a warm summer day to discover I love a good pilsner. One with body, that makes me think of Monet's Haystack Series and fried chicken and potato salad. Or maybe just a jet-set weekend to eastern Europe.

What I don't dig is a megalithic company like AB trying to steal back market share by overinflating the gastronomical value of their suds, and acting like something is somehow intrinsically wrong with craft beer.

No comments: