02 October, 2012

A Snap Decision

I've decided it's time for a new challenge. In the spirit of keeping things fresh and interesting, if not a little crazy, I'm going to undertake the Spartan 30 Day Challenge. Thirty days straight of insane training sessions. No rest days. I want to see what I'm made of. I want to be faster on the bike, in the water, and on foot. Doing something completely different should do that for me in the long run.

This venture is also founded in my desire to keep seeking my ever changing, constantly distilled sense of self. I know I was placed where I am in my life, with my family and friends, geographically, intellectually, and with my physical strengths and weaknesses to do something in particular. I feel this is a step along the path to where I'm headed, even though I am all too aware that where I am headed is merely another trailhead in my traversing of the world and life. You find yourself when you're broken; if thirty days straight of working out doesn't tear it down to build it all back up, mentally/spiritually/emotionally and physically, I don't know for sure if anything can.
So where am I today, physically? A month or so off of any serious training. I haven't been in the pool in a month, and haven't run any real distance, either. I've been on the bike a couple of times. So, other than the nagging (but healing) pain in my ankle, I'm really pretty fresh. I'm about five pounds up from race weight, which I'll plunge back down to when I start training for my April race, if not during the next thirty days. I'm generally fine with being five up, and feel like I can probably drive my race weight a little lower the coming year. You should know, I'm a stickler for my physical appearance. For me to say I'm okay with being a smidge heavier is a big step for me.
Mentally, I faced a poor A-level race this season. My swim at that race was better than I've ever done. My bike went downhill, though, and I failed to fuel well. I started cramping on the run. Additionally, my ankle pain was more than just a little tinge when I hopped off the bike. It took me over an hour to run a 10K. I'll do better next year. If I don't fail, I won't improve. My final race of the season, I took second in my age group, a mere week later. So, that's where I am mentally; a little afraid of failure (as always... if I weren't such a perfectionist, my life would be easier.), yet aware of my improved ability, particularly on the bike.
I'll come here throughout the thirty days to let you guys know what is going on and how things are proceeding. Challenge starts tomorrow.

No comments: