19 October, 2012

One Small Step for a Yogi...

This morning, for the first time ever, I performed the kickback from Lolasana to Plank. I've been strong enough for a long time, but I don't always trust myself like I should.

I went from here:


To plank, by kicking my legs out. Seems like nothing probably... but this was a huge step for me.

I didn't complete the sequence because of the level of the class. (Only two of my pupils tried the jump back.) I want to improve on m technique from here. However, I'm proud to be able to do what I can with this; it's one of the hardest sequences in yoga, really.

AAAAnd... in other news.

I'm going to the doctor Tuesday. I'm impatient to find out what is going on with my ankle, for sure, and have reassurance about it. For once, I have no apprehension about going to the doctor. I want my condition to improve so I can comfortably bike and run again. I feel a little lost without those things. Like part of me is missing.

As a last hurrah, I'm giving Crystal Ridge a full attempt on Sunday afternoon, hopefully with some friends along to shame me into no wimping out and walking the bike up. I think that if I can climb the long Alto climb up Sewanee Mountain, surely I can make it up Crystal Ridge. That's what I'm telling myself.

Tomorrow morning, I have CPR training class. Another first, and important since I currently teach fitness classes. I'm interested to see what I learn.

I'm four drinks in, as of now. That's a good stopping point; I never, ever drink this much. 

I watched an interesting documentary today, about three guys Running the Sahara. They were the first to ever do it, running 111 days to cross from the coast of Senegal to the Red Sea. Crazy, inspiring, awesome. I want to do something unbelievable, painful, bonkers. I want to take myself to the brink, mentally and physically, and come out on the other side. I want to be who I am on the other side of such endurance. (This is challenging... maybe the real challenge is emotional endurance.) I never thought I would be who I am, where I am today. But when I think about who I thought I was going to be, I realize that I'm much better, much more multi-dimensional, much more complex. Somehow, I'm better than I thought I could be. I look at the person I would have been if things had proceeded the way I planned a few years ago, and I realize I'm where I'm supposed to be, not resting on a single event in my life (the "right" job/career) as my laurels, but pushing through things I'd never imagined to find out who I really am when things don't go as planned, when I press in the clutch. I'm making plans that are better than the ones I'd ever imagined for myself, because I really believe Someone has something better planned for me.

That being said, I want to do something crazy.

No comments: