08 October, 2012

SAG Wagon fun and Lazy Time

As already mentioned, the MS Ride to Jack and Back was this weekend.

Paul rode with our friend Stephen on Saturday. (My cousin, Pam, and Stephen both have MS, so BIKE MS is a special charity.) They were the first ones across the finish line for the long course. I, of course, was out combing the course for folks in need of assistance in the Support and Gear (SAG) wagon. I'm pretty handy at changing a tire and minor mechanical issues, enjoy chatting with people, and wanted to be able to spend time with Paul this weekend, so I felt like I should give it a shot. Saturday was a little slow and uneventful, particularly late into the afternoon. I called Paul and didn't reach him at first. He was setting up our tent (which we ended up not using) and missed my calls. When he called me back, he told me he would ride with me when I made it back up to the end of the course.

The slowest riders were coming through the zones I was working (the last sections of the ride) by the time I got him in the car. We spent the afternoon cheering people up hills and pushing them on to reach the end. I didn't want any of them to fail. I'd already taken two people abandoning the ride to the finish line, and didn't want anyone else who was riding to fall to the war of attrition that the ride seemed to be becoming. I was watching one girl in particular named Stacy work so hard, in a deeper, darker place than I've ever been in any race. She was digging deep on the last hill, and we continued to come past, giving her momentary encouragement. She made me tear up; if only I'd work half that hard and be willing to dig that deep. She was giving it her all!

Saturday was much busier. I started out at the head of the course, helped a girl change her tire, and dropped her off with a mechanic when I realized she needed a new tire very badly. The plan was for me to begin leap-frogging down the course. I continued past the next two aid stations to the lunch stop, when I began shuttling riders who decided to abandon to the Sunday finish. That's how I spent my day yesterday, and it was pretty enjoyable.

I met some interesting folks along the way, as they worked alongside me to shuttle riders around and help them at rest stops. One tried to convince me I should do Ironman Louisville next year. He pointed out that all the horror stories I hear aren't necessarily horror stories, and that you'll hear bad things about any race. I always feel like it's my job to sift through those stories and decide how I feel about the course I'd be racing. There are races I won't do, ever, because I hear repeatedly how dangerous they are. Louisville, on the other hand, is just a challenging race. Heat and hills... but I guess if I'm going to do a race, why not make it tough? I doubt I'll be doing it this coming year, but maybe in a couple years...

I also met the owner of R.B.'s Cycles. Exceptionally nice guy! If you're looking at bikes in the Nashville or Memphis areas, at least drop by his shop :)

Paul and I signed up to ride next year. Hopefully, with another half Iron distance race under my belt, it won't slaughter me.

I skipped my Spartan WODs this weekend... I'll pick back up today. I'm skipping the larger majority of the running henceforth. My ankle was very, very angry with me. After suggestions from many parties, I'll be contacting a doctor sometime this week to get it checked out. I've had enough of this...


2 comments:

Lisa said...

Lord, my hat goes off to anyone who attempted to ride in that cold this weekend. I couldn't have done it. Running in cold is my thing, biking in it was not. That's awesome you volunteered to do all that. ;-)

Jessie said...

I'll confess, I was happy to be in a car and not on a bike! I had a fun time, and I know Paul did :)

Good job on the marathon! Your time was excellent!